A blocked squares pillow, or color-blocked pillow is a fun and creative way to add color and texture to any room.
Pillows are the Jewelry for your Furniture.
Have you ever struggled when designing pillows? Or have you ever struggled with pillow fabrication? Or are you ever challenged with not having enough fabric for the pillow front and back? Blocked squares or color-blocked pillows may be the technique you can use in your next pillow design.
1. You’ll need four squares of fabric, cut the same size. Use either the same fabric or use contrasting colored fabrics.
2. Lay the pillow squares on your table and alternate the direction of the squares for visual interest.
3. Layer the top two pillow pieces and bottom two pieces together, right sides together.
4. Sew a 1/2″ seam.
5. Press the seam open and sew a top stitch seam at an equal distance from each side of the seam.
6. Keeping the center seams lined up, sew the pillow’s top and bottom sections together. Sew a 1/2″ seam. Press the seam open and topstitch as you did for the first seams.
The blocked squares pillow front is now complete.
Finish your pillow with your method of choice. Below are some inspirational photos we’ve made here at Designs by Donna to help get your creative juices flowing.
This pillow uses a combination of a stripe, a bright cotton fabric, and two faux leather colors. The topstitching was sewn in contrasting colors and the welt cord is a contrasting color.
This color-blocked pillow has contrasting color flat flange detail around the edges.
Would you like a downloadable PDF with step-by-step directions for this pillow style? Visit the freebies page for the free downloadable PDF for Make A Blocked Squares pillow. Happy sewing and creating!
Are you a visual learner? Watch my video on this pillow method here.
Want to learn more from me? Check out my online store here.
Donna’s online educational products
If you know someone who would like to read this blog, feel free to share this with them.